Horizon Bank began as Lancaster County Bank in 1907 and is the oldest business in Waverly. In the 1920s the bank moved into a new, brick building at the corner of 142nd Street & Jamestown. Then, in 1973 the bank moved across the street to its present location. The existing building was remodeled in 1993 and was expanded in 2014. The current downtown location is only the third since our beginning in 1907.
The bank has stood with customers through wars, the depression, inflation, and recession. M. W. Dunlap purchased Lancaster County Bank in 1958 and became only the fourth owner in bank history. The bank has been owned by the Dunlap family since that time. Longevity of service by Horizon Bank employees remains consistent with the bank’s historic stability of ownership.The Horizon Bank name was born in July of 2001. This name change helped to facilitate the purchase of a branch in Superior, Nebraska in August of 2001. In April of 2003, the bank opened an additional full-sized branch in Waverly. In 2009 it was time to grow again and Horizon Bank began to serve customers in McCook, Nebraska.